In this post, we’ll learn how to edit Digitech GNX4 Presets with X-Edit. If you’ve ever wanted to change the factory presets, or add presets created by other people, the Digitech X-Edit software allows for easy designing, modification and exporting of presets. In addition, X-Edit allows you to make file backups of your GNX4’s preset banks so that you have a copy in the event of the unit’s failure. Before we begin, X-Edit only works in the Windows operating system, so Mac users will not be able to use X-Edit natively within MacOS. So let’s jump in and learn how to Edit Digitech GNX4 Presets with X-Edit.
30 October 2020 – Written by Michael R. Myers #mykmyrs
Tags: #GNX4 #Digitech #X-Edit #MFXSupermodels #guitar #preset
Skill Level: Intermediate
What You’ll Need to Get Started
- Microsoft Windows. Windows 7, 8 and 10 work correctly.
- Digitech GNX4 unit with a USB cable connected to your Windows computer
- Digitech’s GNX4 drivers (v2.1) from the GNX4 product page
- Digitech’s X-Edit software (v2.4.1) from the GNX4 product page
- Optional – an already created preset, with a file extension of *.G4P. You can find presets with an internet search.
Steps to Edit Digitech GNX4 Presets with X-Edit
- Download and install the GNX4 USB drivers for Windows
- Download and install X-Edit. Remember, X-Edit only works on Windows
- Make sure the GNX4 is connected by USB and power it on
- Open X-edit to begin editing. On the left-hand side, X-Edit lists the GNX4 preset banks. There is User, Factory and Memory Card, if you have a card inserted into your GNX4.
- Expand the node of the bank you’d like to edit. Typically, you would edit the User or Memory Card banks to preserve your factory presets. Double click a preset name to load it into the window.
- Change what you’d like to tweak your preset’s sound. You can edit Channel 1 (on the left side of the screen), Channel 2 (right side of screen) and also use the graph in the center to alter the yellow mode’s warp of the amp sound. The buttons to the left of the preset name also allow for more items to be customized, so be sure to check those out as well. Your changes are not saved until you manually save them.
- To save your changes, click the Device Menu, then Store Preset. You’ll get this dialog window. Make sure the bank is correct, the number position of the preset in the bank is correct, and give it a new name, if desired. Click Store and the edited preset is now on your GNX4 or your memory card.
Steps to Import Digitech GNX4 Presets with X-Edit
- Similar to the steps above for editing a preset, perform steps 1 though 4
- Click the File menu, then Open Preset
- Navigate to the location on your computer that contains an existing preset. The file will have a *.G4P extension
- X-Edit will load the preset file and you can repeat steps 6 and 7 above to modify and store your preset on your GNX4
We’ve covered how to edit Digitech GNX4 presets with X-Edit in this brief tutorial. Presets are a good starting point that allow for your own customizations and to easily recall a specific sound quickly. Experiment with the User or Memory Card preset banks to see what you can come up with, or import the presets others have already made. Either way, you have a world of options available to make those presets sound perfect for you.
If you would like to add to this content to help other folks, please contact me and let me know what you have in mind.